The restful Application Programming Interfaces (API) support analysis ready data distribution through a frame work of microservices that retrieve, subset, and convert the data into user community specific Analysis Ready Data (ARD) formats.
Changes from v1 to v2
- No longer able to request multiple file types in a single API request, where previously a link was provided in the outputs section of the JSON response. The API now streams the requested file type directly as a response object.
API Response Times Vary
The response times vary between the different service endpoints and server load a given time.
- As a general rule the higher the temporal level (Daily vs a Climatology) and the greater number of parameters requested will slightly slow down the API's response.
- Using a global or regional tool will result in a greater number of data values returning causing the API's response to be significantly slower than a single point request.
Service Architecture Diagram
|Temporal||The APIs that return user community specific Analysis Ready Data (ARD) products.|
|Application||The APIs that return user specified reports and validation products that use the Temporal APIs.|
|System||The APIs that supply consistent configuration information across the APIs.|
API Response Times Vary
The response times vary between the different services and load a given time.
- As a general rule the higher the temporal level (Hourly vs a Climatology) and the greater number of parameters requested will slightly slow down the API's response.
- The Application API's are the slowest to respond; they typically include multiple temporal data request that run simultaneously. Additionally, have more intensive back end processing, but they requests will complete in under a minute.
POWER microservice API uses conventional HTTP response codes to indicate the success or failure of an API request.
|200||Success||The request was successful.|
|400||Bad Request||The endpoint rejected the request do to incorrect inputs.|
|401||Not Authorized||Your user is Not Authorized to access the endpoint.|
|404||Not Available||The services is not available.|
|429||Too Many Requests||Too Many Requests.|
|450||Data Unreachable||The POWER Data Archive is unreachable.|
|460||Service Unreachable||The POWER API Services are unreachable.|
|500||Server Error||Something went wrong on our end; if it persists send a help ticket.|
|502||Bad Gateway||Something went wrong; if it persists send a help ticket.|
|504||Gateway Timeout||Something went wrong; if it persists send a help ticket.|
|550||Data Issue||An error occurred reading the POWER data; if it persists send a help ticket.|
400 Responses List Violations
The HTTP response code 400 lists all syntax and parameter violations in the response. Please review and make the necessary changes before resubmitting the request.